Few date night ideas are as classic or iconic as the picnic dinner (or lunch, if you prefer). It is one of the easiest and most affordable ways to spend time with your partner, yet is still widely considered to be one of the most romantic of gestures.
- Planning a picnic meal outside is very easy and you will only need a few key items. If your partner likes surprises (and let’s be honest, most of them do!) make sure to gather the following things together in secret so they don’t suspect a thing.
- Old School Picnic Basket – Get a classic picnic basket with the red and white checkered cloth to give the whole experience an ‘old school’ feel that you will both love.
- Picnic Backpack – You can get picnic backpacks that include all the extras you will need for your meal. This can include flatware, plates, salt & pepper shakers, a small cutting board, a tote for wine and even wine glasses. This backpack is even insulated so you can keep your food cold while walking to your destination!
- Picnic Blanket – Find a light picnic blanket that you can spread out on the grass to help keep things clean and comfortable. You want the blanket to be large enough to easily fit you both along with your food, but not so large that it is inconvenient.
- Bug Spray – What is worse than trying to enjoy a romantic picnic and having bugs constantly bothering you? Packing bug spray will help keep those pesky little insects away.
You may need
- Once you have those essential items, you can also consider some additional optional things. This can include sunscreen, cloth napkins, and even flowers. Of course, you will also have to plan the food you will enjoy.
- Picnic food should be easy to eat without making a mess. Consider making bite-sized sandwiches to enjoy. You can even take turns feeding each other, which is always very romantic. Other options include cut up pieces of meat and cheese, fresh salad, fresh fruit, and more. Remember, while a picnic date is a great option for both new relationships and those that are well-established, you want to make sure you know of any dietary requirements of your partner before packing! With just a little effort, you will have everything you need to enjoy this date right away, and again throughout your relationship.