Tale of Two Readers in Istanbul
Enjoy each other's company by exploring the rich world of literature. From Istanbul’s historic cafes to book shops tucked away in cobblestoned alleys, this date is about sharing the joy of reading.Add to favorites
- Your day starts with a visit to the iconic 'Sahaflar Carsisi' (Old Book Bazaar) located in Beyazit. Here you can find books from all around the world. In the afternoon, head to the 'Karabatak' cafe, a charming venue in Karakoy district, known for its cosy atmosphere and literary clientele.
- Once you've chosen your books, find a quiet corner and embark on your reading journey individually. After finishing a few chapters, switch books and read what the other person has chosen. This will help you understand each other's perspectives and preferences.
- After immersing yourselves in reading, engage in an intellectual conversation about the books. Discuss the plots, themes or any standout quotes that caught your eye. Finish your date with a scenic walk along the Bosphorus, sharing your thoughts about the day.
- Since it is November, prepare for a somewhat chilly Istanbul day. Dress warmly and don't forget your favourite scarves. Pack your personal sketchbooks or journals if you like to take notes while reading.
- Use the morning to research about the historic book bazaar and familiarize yourself with the location and timings. Also, make a list of few existing books you are currently reading, or genres you are interested in, to discuss with your partner.
- Don't forget to build your anticipation for the date. Plan the day carefully but remain flexible. This date is about relaxation and intellectual stimulation, do not rush through it.
You may need
- Make sure you and your partner are comfortable with the selected books. If you come across a book that you are already familiar with, use that as an opportunity to share your thoughts and even reveal a bit about your personality.
- Remember, it is not a competition to finish the book. The aim is to enjoy the process and learn from each other. Feel free to pause, discuss and even disagree on certain aspects of the book, it'll add depth to your conversations.
- Try to stay off your phone during the date unless you want to look up something related to the book. This will help you connect more deeply with your partner and the atmosphere of the place.