Historical Walk and Tea Time in Kemeraltı
Experience the cultural heartbeats of Izmir with a journey back in time at the vibrant Kemeraltı Bazaar, followed by a relaxing tea session at Mavra Cafe.Add to favorites
- Your cultural journey begins at Hisar Mosque, an iconic symbol of Izmir dating back to the late 16th century. From there, immerse yourself into the lively atmosphere of Kemeraltı Bazaar, which has been a bustling trade center since the 17th century. Behind its colorful facades, you can find everything from spices to delicate handicrafts, offering perfect mementos to remember this date by.
- As you roam the labyrinthine streets, take a detour to visit Kızlarağası Han, a caravanserai turned antique market, where you can witness relics of Ottoman architecture. If you are up for a tiny hike, climb up to Kadifekale, where the cityscape of Izmir unfolds before your eyes.
- End your day at Mavra Cafe, nestled in the heart of Kemeraltı Bazaar, where you can sip on authentic Turkish tea while you reminisce on the day's adventures.
- Begin your day by dressing casually with comfortable shoes as you'll be doing a fair bit of walking. Carry a small backpack with water and snacks, and don't forget your camera to capture those precious moments.
- Familiarize yourself with the layout of Kemeraltı Bazaar, keeping an eye out for key landmarks like Hisar Mosque and Kızlarağası Han, to ensure you don't miss out on anything.
- Before you step out, read up on some basic history of the places you'll be visiting. The context will allow you to appreciate the hidden stories behind the vibrant marketplace and ancient structures.
You may need
- Kemeraltı Bazaar can be busy, respect the local customs and avoid being too loud. Also, remember to haggle while shopping, it's part of the market culture!
- While at Kızlarağası Han, don't miss the opportunity to try the local delights such as "lokma" (Turkish donuts) and "boyoz" (a flaky pastry), but remember to still stay within your budget.
- Climbing up to Kadifekale could be tiring, so ensure you are well-rested before attempting the hike. The sunset views from the hilltop are truly worth it!